Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007 In Review

What a year! Packed full with emotion, trial, testing and faith.

This year was one of our darkest years and Ian and I struggled to deal with a painful family situation. It stretched on for most of the year but was resolved in part in October. Now healing can begin as we all move forward with a "new normal". I have felt my loving, Heavenly Father close to me at many times in my life but never as closely as this year. I could not have gotten through this year without His love and grace and mercy. He gave me just enough strength for each day and every day after that. He taught me to stay close, to trust and to be patient. He taught me just how much He loves me. There were moments when I would be on my knees, crying out to Him to help me and He did. He was at work in our situation all year, behind the scenes. His love for me overwhelms me and brings me to tears. He who sees the depths of my heart and loves me still.

While we dealt with this situation the Lord sent us many, many blessings. We had a couple of Niagara getaways at the start of the year, one at an indoor water park. What fun! We laughed so much together and just enjoyed each other's company. I loved watching my children overcome their fears - Julie of the wave pool and Sam with his waterslides.

May brought us back to Disney World! Two visits in less that two years - what a blessing. We had breakfast with Mickey and Minnie and lunch in Cinderella's Castle. Lots of rides and fireworks and waterpark fun. Precious time together with our children.

I took part in a wonderful bible study with my dear Christian sisters. We studied the book "Get Out Of That Pit!" By Beth Moore. It was all about the pits we get thrown into or jump into, and how to get out with Christ's help. A life changing book. I will likely read it again. Its been awhile since I've been in a study and it felt good to join one again. We are planning our next study to begin in mid-January but I'm not sure I will take part this time around. Jordan will be here in a few months and I am getting more tired as the weeks go on. We'll see. If God wants me there, He will strengthen me to be there.

This year brought challenges with friendships as well. I am always learning and striving to be a good friend, to be someone *I* would want to be friends with. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes that means standing up for yourself even when your friend thinks you are wrong. Even if it causes division in a relationship one must hold true to what they believe in and feel is right. But as one door closes another always opens and I have been nurturing a new friendship with a new sister in Christ. How wonderful it is to grow with this friend as we support one another through life's blessings and hardships.

What would a new year be without New Year's resolutions?? Here are mine:

1) After Jordan is born, I will begin my weight loss efforts. I'm at a point in my life where I don't care to be a size 6, I just want to live and be healthy and see my children have children. I am ready to tackle the reasons why I eat, what I am hiding from, what drives me to do what I do. I'm will work on this with God.

2) I want to stay on top of my housework so that people can drop by anytime and I won't be freaking out. I hate housework but I've kept the house up for the last week and it's easy if I do a bit each day. The kids are helping out too. There are still a couple of trouble spots but I'm working through those.

3) I want to socialize with friends more. Have them over, go over to their place, whatever. I worry so much about whether or not my home is "acceptable" to others that I don't bother to have them in. It's almost become an aversion or phobia.

4) I want to continue to work on my marriage and to put Ian and his needs before my own. I want to work harder at becoming a more godly wife.

5) I want to go on a date with my husband once a month.

This morning at church we had a time of sharing where people could share the wonderful things God has done in their lives this year. What an encouraging time! He is always present, He always cares, He is always at work for the good of those who love Him.

I am not sure what 2008 holds. Jordan's safe and healthy arrival is my constant prayer. Whatever comes, I can do all through Christ who strengthens me.

1 comment: