Friday, August 17, 2012

5QF ~ August 17

I'm so excited it's Friday and I get to be home with the family for two whole days. I'm going to putter my heart out, and play with and love on my children. Next week will be a short one for me as I'm only working Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Ian and Sam have tickets to a four day conference so they'll be going back and forth every day and I need to be here with the other three kids. I'm going to love every minute of it, and I'm going to pretend I'm a stay at home mom again. Oh how I miss that life.

Tonight Sam and Julie are at a movie all nighter at youth group. I don't think Julie will make it past midnight, and I'm guessing Sam will drop by 3am. Ian is there until midnight helping to supervise.

The littles and I had a quiet evening together. Matthew played in his playpen and Jordan curled up next to me and played with her DS while I read my book. I'm currently reading a memoir by Brenda Warner and it really has my interest. I must have been quite wrapped up in it because at one point I looked up to see that Mattie had fallen asleep in his playpen with his sweet arms wrapped around his stuffed puppy, and Jordan was sleeping next to me on the couch. I let them sleep like that for a short while and just enjoyed the calm quiet and togetherness. I've been craving some of that for awhile now and I really enjoyed it.

Matthew's new game is to drop something and say "uh oh" and look at me expectantly. I give him back what he wants and he repeats it. That game got old fast with kid #1 and here I am still playing it with #4!

I had two really good visits with my mom this week. I just love being with her. Sam often comes with me when I go over and loves to tell my mom funny stories and jokes to make her laugh. He says he loves going there because her house is like his second home. Last night he got talking about the special bond he feels he has with her and that just warms my heart. So much love in our family.

For the last couple of weeks I've been setting my alarm for 6:15am each morning so I can do all the things I need to do without rushing around. I'm loving the extra time to shower and dress, do my hair and pack my lunch. I even have time to sit quietly and do my daily devotions. I bought Jesus Calling about a month ago and I love it. Often I will be struck by a particular day's devotion because it will address something on my heart or that I'm struggling with. I find that setting aside quiet time with the Lord first thing really helps me feel more connected to Him as I go about my day.

Ok! It's time for Mama M's Five Question Friday blog hop!

 
 
1. What's the one thing you buy every time you walk into the store?
Milk! We can't keep milk in the house. There are six of us that drink it and we go through almost a bag every day.
I also love fresh strawberries. I cut them up and mix in some Splenda to take to work for dessert every day at lunch.
2. If you had a day all to yourself how would you spend it?
I'd sleep in until 8, then have my tea and breakfast on the back deck while doing my devotions. I'd putter around the house, enjoying the quiet. I'd read a bit, nap a bit, and putter some more.
3. Are you a speed limit driver? If not, over or under?
I always drive the speed limit on the highway which is 100 km. It makes me twitchy when people tell me I have to drive 110 or more "to keep up with the flow of traffic". Just because everyone else is speeding doesn't mean I have to. I've yet to get a speeding ticket and I'd like to keep it that way.
I have been known to speed on country roads when no one else is around. I'll speed a little if I think I'm going to be late, and I might drive slower if I'm headed somewhere I don't particularly want to go.
4. What's your favorite dessert to make, homemade or from a mix??
Cake balls are a family favourite and so easy to make. I haven't had any extra time to make them in the last four months since I've been back to work and let's just say, the natives are growing restless.
I love to make Skor Squares because they're so quick and simple to make and everyone loves them.
And I love to make cupcakes and decorate them with high frosting and just watch the children enjoy them.
 5. Would you rather have a spider or a mouse scurry across your face (no copping out and saying "neither!!")?
Oh my word that's just so gross. I'll say spider because maybe it would be a skinny spider and I wouldn't feel it running over me. A mouse would surely cause my sudden death from fright. And grossed-out-ness.
That's it for me! Head on over to Mama M's blog My Little Life to join in on the fun!
 
 
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I still freak out when I read "bags" of milk. Such a foreign concept to me, lol!

    Maybe on your long weekend next week you can make some cake balls!

    I've missed you, Kate! I hope I'm back to blogging now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mattie is just experimenting with gravity :D At one year old he is becoming a scientist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mattie is just experimenting with gravity. At one year old he is becoming a scientist... now if I could get my 7 year old scientist to slow down a little I would be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend made cake balls recently. They were amazing!

    http://www.memoirsofmeandmine.com/

    ReplyDelete