Thursday, March 31, 2011

Working

For the most part, I don't mind working.

I like that I'm contributing to the family and that my children - especially my daughter Julie - see that there is more to Mom than the ability to change diapers or cook dinner. You know?

I like that my children are seeing that in this time of employment upheaval, Mom and Dad are a team, and they work together.

I work for a company that provids cleaning services to stores. I am responsible for collections and billing, and whatever other projects they give me.

I miss being at home with the children very much, but I'm trying to enjoy this season for however long I'm in it.

This is my workspace.



See all my post-it notes? I'm terrified that I'll forget something so I stick them everywhere.

The coworker on the other side of my wall has this weird habit of standing up and staring at me. I don't think she's staring at me so much, just that she's staring. No matter. It creeps me out, so I roll close to my desk and duck down so she can't see me.

Every day there is that one conversation that just kills me. Usally it's a collection call and it's all I can do not to laugh.

Take the other day for instance. I called a property management company for payment and our conversation went something like this.

Him: I cannot help you. You have to call Dragen.

Me: Dragon?

Him: Dragen! He is property manager, not fire breathing animal!

Me: Oh. I'm sorry I thought that's what I said. "Dragon".

Him: DragEN. EN!


Sigh.

Last week I called for accounts payable and was told that "Cinderella isn't in today".

Um... yeah.

Then there is the stuff I hear all around me. Such as a subcontractor angry that his payment isn't ready so he's going to put a bomb in our building.

Yikes.

It's amazing to me to see how God works everything out. I knew I'd have to return to work last fall, but I was so worried about who I would find to care for Jordan. She's never been to daycare and I didn't know where to start to find a great place for her. Then, Ian was laid off. I took this temp assignment, able to relax knowing that Ian would be home with her.

So even when I was freaking out about how we were going to manage everything, God had the details all worked out.

That's why I try so hard (and yet often fail) to not get stressed out these days. I know that God has everything worked out for our family, and when it's time for Ian to go back to work, the doors will open.

Ian is anxious to get back to work. He's working so hard to find employment, yet all the doors seem to be closed right now. It's so disheartening.

But God has it all worked out, I just know it. He's preparing the perfect job for Ian and will open that door when the time is right.

In the meantime, I get to do what I do, contribute to my wonderful family, enjoy the feedback I get for my work efforts, and make some new friendships.

For how ever long this season lasts, I am choosing to trust that God is in control.

Thank goodness for that!

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. LOVE your attitude about having to work!!!! I worked outside the home until Erika was a few months old and I don't miss it one bit, but I would do it again in a heartbeat if it was what I needed to do for our family to survive! So happy that everything fell into place and you don't have to worry about Jordan while you are out working! What a blessing! Have a good day! The weekend is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're awesome, Kate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is good!! And I'm with Sandy! ;)

    PS...just did some catching up...glad you survived the pool party! Belle's left me wanting to drown myself in the pool. ;) And Jordan is SO grown up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Trusting God does bring the best blessings--especially peace!
    Loved getting a glimpse at where your work and what you do!
    Hey...just an FYI...there are some great job opportunities in IOWA! I hear there's a pretty great church there too! (hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad to see you counting your blessings! God might just be tryin' to teach Ian something too (and maybe even you) through this employment drought. He's there though, and it's exciting that you can see it!

    Your stories about your phone calls are hilarious, I hope you are writing them all down, because you might get another good laugh out of them a few years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Trusting God does bring the best blessings--especially peace!
    Loved getting a glimpse at where your work and what you do!
    Hey...just an FYI...there are some great job opportunities in IOWA! I hear there's a pretty great church there too! (hehe)

    ReplyDelete