Thursday, April 16, 2009

Job...No Job....Job?

It's been a challenging week to say the least.

But... let's report on the positive, shall we?

Yesterday I had a job interview at a company located in my city, about 15 minutes from my house.

GOLD!

This interview was to be one unlike any other I've ever had. Not only did they want to meet with me and discuss my qualifications, they also wanted to see me "in action".

Umm...ok.

While I drove along I went through all the possible interview questions and answers in order to prepare myself. Yes... I did this out loud, with smiles and hand gestures as well. I am sure I looked very strange to those driving along beside me. Not as strange as when I shamelessly rock out to the music on the radio, but I digress.

But I didn't look as strange as the poor dude in a Ford F150 (oh that little bit of heaven will be mine the minute I win the lottery) who was waiting at the same red light. I saw something fall out of his window...and then run away. It turns out it was his Bulldog and he just trotted away from the truck and his panicked owner had to run kitty corner across the intersection to try to catch him. I had to laugh because this dog would just let his owner get close enough to grab him, then dart off again. Meanwhile, we were all at a standstill until he could move his truck.

Poor little dog. He probably didn't want to go where he was going. We certainly had that in common...I didn't really want to go where I was going either.

Anyhoo..

I made it to my interview early, and waited patiently until my interview time rolled around. Then rolled past. I waited for almost a half hour for the manager to come and get me. I met with the Credit Manager and the AR Supervisor. I hit it off with the Manager, but I just had this feeling that the Supervisor didn't like me even before I opened my mouth. We talked for a bit, then the Manager took me on a tour of the office, showing me where I could find everything, introduced me to the staff and then left me with a woman who I would be replacing. I sat with her for the next two hours while she tried to format her Excel spreadsheet. Then, mercifully, the Supervisor came to send me on my way.

I felt that the interview portion went very well, and although I was lost with the advanced Excel, I knew that Ian could bring me up to speed on that. I called my contact at the agency to report, then went home.

This afternoon the agency called to let me know that the client would like to meet with some other candidates as they felt that I was not aggressive enough.

???

Yes, those of you who know me personally may take a moment to laugh.

Ok that's enough now.

I felt a little ripped off because I wasn't given the opportunity to show off my skills. I just sat there while someone played with her Excel. I tried to ask questions but kept getting put off. I had a bit of a cry with Ian when I told him I didn't get it because I felt like I failed him and the family.

My employment background is in Debt Recovery (oh isn't that nicer than saying Collector) and I will say this, I am very good at it. I'm not a leg breaker by any means. I believe that in this field you catch more flies with honey. My customer service skills are top notch and that's why I'm successful in this role.

Anyone reading this that might be hiring right about now? Anyone...? Anyone...?

Oh boo.

The agency called me back later on this afternoon to tell me they have a two week assignment that I might be suited for, so they're sending my profile over today. I'll let you know how that goes.

In the meantime, Ian is considering going back to school. The more I think about this, the more I like the idea. He has dreams. My dream was to have another baby and he made that come true for me. Now I want to help him achieve his.

Today is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S outside. I didn't even need a sweater today. Tomorrow will be 19.

19!!!

Tonight is Girls Club and I think we're going to play outside. We'll do chalk drawings and skipping. Which reminds me. I should put on my smaller pants so they don't fall down while I'm skipping. Yikes.. that would make for an interesting post, wouldn't it!

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are too good for that company anyway. I hope this two week assignment pans out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I believe that the Lord has just the right job picked out for you. I know it is so hard to wait and go through interviews and stuff. I'll be praying for you Kate! Take heart friend. God will open the right door that no man can shut.

    Love to you!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... I believe that the Lord has just the right job picked out for you. I know it is so hard to wait and go through interviews and stuff. I'll be praying for you Kate! Take heart friend. God will open the right door that no man can shut.

    Love to you!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are too good for that company anyway. I hope this two week assignment pans out for you!

    ReplyDelete