Tuesday, March 31, 2009

First Day...Last Day

Today was the first day of my three day temp job. It was also the last day, but I'll get to that.

I went to bed later than I planned and lay there, wide awake for a long time. I was feeling really anxious about working again after being off for so long and I knew I would miss Jordan terribly.

Once I got into the groove of getting ready I felt much better about going. I left the house pretty close to the time I wanted to (read: late) and hit every green light on my way and ended up arriving 20 minutes early. Had to be a great sign right?

The company I was to work for - Frito Lay - was directly across the street from the company I worked at for 10 years so I was very familiar with the area. I thought about dropping in to visit after work but decided against it.

I met one of the other temps right away and within five minutes I knew her entire life story, how she was going to move out west to Vancouver a year ago but discovered she had breast cancer. After fighting that for the last year she was now ready to re-enter the workforce. She was very outspoken and did the majority of the talking for both of us. Being that I was out of my element I let her wear the pants in our newly formed relationship.

The work was extremely simple: enter a customer number, verify the name, and print. NEXT! Three temps were hired for three days. Three temps finished all the work in three hours. End of assignment.

I was on my way home before noon.

So there you have it. My exciting day in a nutshell. No crazy stories to tell.

I feel better having "gotten my feet wet" so to speak. I won't be so nervous for the next placement I hope.

4 comments:

  1. Even with all the talking you still managed to get the work done?! You're awesome Kate!

    Maybe the assignment should've been 1 person for 3 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats...I think? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats...I think? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even with all the talking you still managed to get the work done?! You're awesome Kate!

    Maybe the assignment should've been 1 person for 3 days!

    ReplyDelete