Tuesday, September 07, 2010

First Day Down

The children survived their first day of school.

Julie could hardly sleep last night because she was so excited for today. She showered and washed her hair, laid out her clothes and packed up her backpack last night so she'd be ready first thing this morning.

Sam, on the other hand, had a hard time falling asleep last night. He was really dreading today and there weren't a lot of smiles from him this morning.

Here they are on my mom's front porch:



My sixth grader:



My fourth grader:



Sam walked to school on his own, wanting nothing to do with us. Julie, however, wanted us to walk with her and to meet her teacher. I needed to drop Ian off at work and head to my interview to ensure I'd arrive on time, and almost said we'd just drop her at the kiss and ride. But then I realized that there are only so many first days of school, and I didn't want to miss hers. Next year she may not want us there at all, so I'm glad we walked with her today.

Jordan had a meltdown of huge proportions as we all left for our days. My poor mom! She said Jordan cried for a bit after we left, then agreed to go to McDonald's with Mom to pick up some coffee and muffins. So cute.

Julie was flying high when she arrived at my mom's after school. She loved everything about her day: her outfit, her hair, her teacher, and her friends. She's been so excited all night. Excited and exhausted! She actually asked to go to bed early.

Sam didn't enjoy his day at all. He's in a 6/7 split class, and all of his friends are in a different class. He's anxious about how hard this year is going to be already and isn't too thrilled to return tomorrow. I'm glad that he has been separated from this one kid in particular, and hopefully he'll be able to focus more this year. I feel sad for him though.

Feels good to be getting back into the swing of things!

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Glad Julie loved her day....she looks so cute in your pictures! And I hope Sam settles in in the coming days. I'm sure once he gets used to things he'll feel better about school....6th grade is tough...at least it was for me! I had my first male teacher that year and was PETRIFIED of him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome 6th grader and beautiful 4th grader you have there! I hope Julie's days continue going so well and Sam settles into a groove and realizes that maybe being separated will be a blessing in disguise! It will all work out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pics! I do love your Sammy Sunshine...look at his expression in those photos..."Oh COME ON Mom...just get it over with!!" LOL Bless his heart.

    I hope things get better for him quickly.

    So glad Jules enjoyed her first day...I think it's a girl thing...most girls LOVE their first day...most boys do not. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot get over how gorgeous your kids are. WHAT is in your genetics that produces perfect hair?! And can I be jealous of a 4th grader's hair? Is that right? Probably not... even worse is that I'm jealous of a 6th grade boy's hair. Really. I'm so glad Julie was so excited - she's adorable in that tie. I can't get over her. And I know Sam's upset... I was in a 3/4/5 class as a 3rd grader, and though it's tough for him right now, it'll make every year from here on out much easier - promise from someone who's been there :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great pics! They both look great in there back to school attire. Hope today goes well for both of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep...killer hair kids! Seriously, beautiful (and handsome) children! I think more of my school years could relate to Sam...ug! Praying he'll find a good friend! I think Julie has homecoming queen in her future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see that Sam has Beiber (sp?) bangs. I bet all the girls will be after him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure Sam will get into the swing of things in no time, although I can totally feel his pain. I always hated the first few weeks of school, especially those years when my friends were not in the same classes as me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kids are very cute! I remember the days of worrying what the first day of school outfit would be. I'm glad hers was a hit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the idea of taking a picture of your kids on their first day of school. I will have to remember that when I have kids of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep...killer hair kids! Seriously, beautiful (and handsome) children! I think more of my school years could relate to Sam...ug! Praying he'll find a good friend! I think Julie has homecoming queen in her future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad Julie loved her day....she looks so cute in your pictures! And I hope Sam settles in in the coming days. I'm sure once he gets used to things he'll feel better about school....6th grade is tough...at least it was for me! I had my first male teacher that year and was PETRIFIED of him!!

    ReplyDelete