Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Tuesday's Treats ~ Lemon & Lime Poppy Seed Cake


The grocery store down the street sells a lemon coffee cake that I just love. What I don't love it the price tag. The only time I will buy one is if I'm having company over for coffee or it's my turn to bring something to a gathering.

When I saw this recipe in my Taste of Home magazine I couldn't wait to try it.

And now you can too :-)

You'll Need:

1 yellow cake mix
1 package of instant vanilla pudding mix
1/4 cup of poppy seeds
4 eggs
1/2 cup of water
1/2 of canola oil
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/4 cup of lime juice

Glaze
1-3/4 cups of confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of lime juice

Step One:
In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 10 inch fluted tube pan.

Step Two:
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

Step Three
In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cake.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Just a couple of things to note here. For my own personal preference, I felt like 1/4 cup of poppy seeds was a lot. Next time I think I would put in a little less. My baking time was about 42 minutes, and for the glaze, I only used 1 & 1/4 cups of confectioners (icing) sugar for the consistency I wanted.

I intended to take some of this cake over to my Mama's house, but it didn't quite make it.

Sorry Mama.

I liked this cake. For me, it leans more towards a coffee cake than a regular cake. I'll definitely make this again.

Photobucket

2 comments: