Friday, May 18, 2012

Book Review: Anything



Safe. Comfortable. Happy.



Words we all love. Feelings we want. Even crave. We may love God, but being that he's invisible, words like comfortable seem to feel better faster.


We are all chasing something. Our hearts were made to run hard and fast after things that move us. But as a generation we are all beginning to stir and wake up, identifying that these words don't satisfy for long, especially when compared to God. If God is real, and we are going to live with Him forever, shouldn't He be everything?

Caught in this familiar haze of worldly happiness and empty pursuits, Jennie Allen and her husband Zac prayed a courageous prayer of abandonment that took them on an adventure God had written for them.


"God, we will do anything. Anything,"


Anything is a prayer of surrender that will spark something. A prayer that will move us to stop chasing things that just make us feel happy and start living a life that matters. A life that is...


Surrendered. Reckless. Courageous.

If we truly know a God worth giving anything for, everything changes.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

I've watched author Jennie Allen's bible study dvd "Stuck" and I knew I would love her book as well. She has such a passionate love for God and a raw honesty to her so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

Jennie was just like most people I know. Like me. Longing for something, but didn't quite know what. Then she learned about Katie Davis, a 21 year old woman who gave up everything the world told her was inportant and followed after the life that God had intended for her. She now lives and serves in Uganda, the mother of 13 adopted children.

Changed by her, Jennie prayed.... anything, Lord.

I am slowly learning how to pray this prayer, but I'm scared. If I tell God I'll do anything, what will He ask of me? Where will he take me? What will he take from me? But day by day, as we get to know each other more, I am leaning closer to praying it. Anything, Lord. For you, I'll do anything.

Jennie reminds us that we are here on this earth for such a short period of time and our time is running out. What are we doing while we're here? How are we spending it? When I meet God face to face, will I be able to stand firm and say I used my time well? Or will my head hang in shame because I held on to the cheap, shiny things of this world, protecting my comfort above all else?

Raw, honest and inspiring, this book shows us how living fully surrended is truly living fully.

Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment