Friday, August 24, 2012

5QF ~ August 24

 
It's Friday afternoon and the sun is streaming in through every window. I am at home, and I am happy. Ian and Sam are attending FanExpo and I took yesterday and today off work to hold down the fort here.
 
I've missed this so much more than I could ever express. This is where my heart is. Changing diapers, fixing peanut butter sandwiches, wiping noses, serving juice, putting littles down for their naps. I'm just soaking it all in.
 
Happy.
 
Last weekend I took the children shopping for back to school stuff. It didn't take Jordan very long to get into the swing of clothes shopping. For the most part her clothes are either hand-me-downs, which I'm fine with, or given as gifts. It was fun to see her choosing things she liked and wanted to wear. Sam found a cool pair of shoes and a couple of shirts, and Julie chose a couple of lightweight sweaters and a tank to wear underneath. Jordan found her much dreamed of, overly talked about, backpack. I think you could have heard her "that's the one Mom!" all through the mall. Apparently I'm the best mom ever for buying it.
 
Every time I stood at the cash register to pay, I was reminded of how different last year's back to school shopping was, and that Texas sized knot in the pit of my stomach as I worried about how I would pay the credit card bill. I am so thankful for the financial freedom we have now. We didn't go overboard, but it was a sweet relief to know I could buy them what they needed.
 
After nineteen years together as a single-car couple, Ian and I are now actively searching for a second car.  We need something to get me to and from work that is easier on gas, so that Ian will have the van to take the children to and from school and for errands. We've looked at a few used ones and have a rough idea of what we want and what we don't want. I said I wanted something with four doors, didn't stink, and wasn't silver, gold or yellow.

We checked out a couple of lots yesterday and one was really, really run down. One car we looked at nearly knocked me over by the smell when Ian opened the door for me to get inside. "No." I said, looking at him. I wasn't even concerned with my manners, I was so grossed out. I fell in love with a two door, bright yellow (two of my "no" items on the list) Sunfire. The longer I sat in it, the more it seemed like the best idea ever. I wasn't thinking about whether it was practical, or that I'm old, or that I have a herd of children. Ian wasn't saying anything and then I asked, "Oh my gosh, am I having a mid-life crisis??" He didn't sugar coat his yes.

Whew. That was close.
 
Julie signed up for dance classes starting next month. She's been wanting to take a hip hop class for ages now, so I'm really happy she can do it now.
 
In just a couple of weeks, both Sam and Julie will be going away on the junior high youth retreat with Ian and the youth group. It'll just be the littles and me. 7pm bedtimes for all of us!!
 
Matthew hasn't walked on his own again, the lazy bum. He does, however, love to walk holding on to my hand. Such a sweet boy.
 
Ok, time for Five Question Friday and then I'm off to play with my littles in the backyard!
 
 
 
1. If you could have been (could be) any profession you wanted (brains and $$$ no problem) what would it be?

I used to want to be a lawyer when I grew up. But if I had pursued that career, I wouldn't have the life I have now, and I wouldn't want to miss out on that for the world.

2. How often do you clean out your car?

Never. However, Ian and the big kids do it every week or so.

3. Do you wish there was such a thing as fashion police or are you deeply relieved?

There needs to be some sort of fashion police fo sho.

Socks and sandals? Strapless dresses with bra straps? Invisible bra straps? Jeggings?

Oh yes. We need some sort of control here, people.

4. What's your go to food/drink/activity when stressed?

There is something about a hot cup of tea that just makes life better.

5. If you had twins, what would you name them?

Names I love right now are Amy and Joe.

That's it! Head on over to Mama M's blog My Little Life to join in on the fun and meet some other awesome bloggers!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got to have some SAHM time! I know how much you love it!!!

    I played FQF too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're able to soak up some home-sized lovin'! I LOVE it when we can stop and appreciate where we are at exactly that moment in time. Makes my heart feel full. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:44 p.m.

    I agree with #4! Sometimes my daughter will say "mom let's have some tea" and I know she needs to sit with her mom and relax for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleaning the car shoukd be the mans job ;) I hardly clean mine out myself.. Heehee
    Visiting from FQF :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:43 p.m.

    Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I am hoping you write once more very soon!
    Also visit my weblog - how to get laid in college

    ReplyDelete