Monday, December 27, 2010

Boy Or Girl?

When I was pregnant with Sam, I was often asked if I was hoping to have a boy or a girl.

I always answered that it didn't matter, all I wanted was a healthy baby.

When I was pregnant with Julie, I was regularly asked if I was hoping for a girl this time.

I always answered that it didn't matter, all I wanted was a healthy baby.

Years later, when I was pregnant with Jordan, I was asked about my gender preference over and over.

My answer was always the same: It didn't matter, I just wanted a healthy baby.

At church on Christmas Eve I was asked whether I was hoping for a boy or a girl.

I said I had no preference.

Then she said, "As long as it's healthy, right?"

I just smiled.

Healthy or not, perfect or not, we want this child. We will love whomever this little person turns out to be.

I pray daily that God will take my worries about this little one away from my heart, and to be able to enjoy this pregnancy and look forward to that beautiful day in June when I will see his or her precious face for the first time.

I'll be 40 when this baby is born. I know what the statistics are for certain disabilities in a baby born to a mother in my age group.

I'm no longer afraid. We weren't expecting this little one but God had a plan to bless us with this new life. Whatever is to come, He will prepare us.

For now.. I'm choosing to just feel thankful.

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. I love ya, girl! And you are so right. This was God's plan...and whatever his plan may be, it will be right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love it! I used to answer "I don't have a preference; I just want healthy" also, and I guess it's that I've grown up in my identity as a Mother and as a Child of God, but now I just smile and say, "I just want to hold my baby." or "I just want to fulfill God's plan." I pray for you daily! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT attitude, Kate! Of course we all want healthy babies, but we also know that we will love & care for whatever God gives us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankful is a very good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking about you and praying for the arrival of a healthy little one. And even at 27, that is what I worry about daily. I supposed it's because I took a genetics class in college, and we recently studied about a million birth defects/genetic disorders in one of my nursing classes....but I am terrified of something being wrong. I'm anxious before every dr's appointment, and I can't wait for the declaration of "everything looks/sounds great". But I'm with you....boy or girl doesn't matter...I just want healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on expecting another precious child!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i pray that God will give you the most perfect baby that is perfect for your family!!! I love your amazing outlook on this... it's so hard to truly say those words. God bless you kate... and that sweet baby of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen! You're so smart. Just like me! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like what was said above..."I just want to hold my baby" (Gah...I'm tearing up writing this) I never imagined looking at a little pink bow on my newborn daughter or a blue cap on a newborn son; all I could imagine was the weight of that baby in my arms as I kissed a downy head and stroked the softest skin I will ever feel. I would imagine the little fingers grasping mine for the first time and never gave one thought to whether it would someday grasp a baseball or a ballerina bar. The baby was an extension of my love and my love knew no difference.
    I pray for you daily my friend that your worries will cease and your heart be filled with nothing but expectation and love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excited for you!! Congratulations! Praying with you that God will give you peace and a healthy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exactly!! I can't wait to see this little babe that is God's plan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i pray that God will give you the most perfect baby that is perfect for your family!!! I love your amazing outlook on this... it's so hard to truly say those words. God bless you kate... and that sweet baby of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GREAT attitude, Kate! Of course we all want healthy babies, but we also know that we will love & care for whatever God gives us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your new baby!

    ReplyDelete