Monday, February 22, 2010

Book Review: Anything But Normal



She thought she'd left the summer behind . . .

This year should be the best of Sophie Ramsay's life. She's friends with all the right people, she's a shoo-in for editor of the school newspaper, and she's managed to turn the head of one of the hottest guys in school.

But something's not quite right. Sophie has a secret--one she won't be able to keep under wraps for much longer.


~*~ ~*~ ~*~


Geared to the middle school/high school set, Anything But Normal is a sweet and easy read about a teenaged girl who is dealing with an unexpected pregnancy.

The story's main character is a Christian who has, along with her friends, taken the Purity Pledge; abstaining from sex until marriage. But one summer away from home ends up changing her life forever.

The author did well at portraying the life of the teenaged girl: what they struggle with, get excited about, dream about and hope for. The topics of abstinence, abortion and adoption are explored from both a Christian standpoint as well as the secular. We are able to view the topic of teen pregnancy from the eyes of the young mother-to-be, her friends as well as her parents.

As a mother, I work hard at nurturing my relationships with my children, encouraging them to be open and honest with me in everything, and that I will always be there to support them. This book was an eye opener for me.

I was a little disappointed in the ending, as I would have liked to have had a glimpse of what life was like for Sophie as she lived her life after her decision. I think this book needs to be read by both parents and teenagers alike. I’ll definitely be keeping this one on the bookshelf to share with my children.

This book is courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available now at your favourite bookseller.

No comments:

Post a Comment