Tuesday, March 17, 2009

March Break ~ Day Two

Happy St Paddy's Day!! ERIN GO BRAGH!

Today was my appointment with the placement agency. I went through all my work clothes last night and settled on something I felt comfortable in for my three hour appointment. It felt so weird to wear heels again. My feet immediately missed my running shoes...

I left the house a bit later than I planned (shocker) and had to stop for gas first. I was in too much of a rush to pull my I'm-blonde-can-you-help-me-pump-my-gas-sir? routine, so I just did it myself. Ew. I hate that job. No matter how careful I am, my hand always smells like gas. Gross.

I was pretty nervous and even though I printed out door-to-door directions, I still managed to take the wrong exit off the highway. I called Ian and he directed me to where I needed to be. I actually arrived early.

I was told to expect up to three hours of testing. I couldn't believe some of them! One was for "filing". How hard is it to file? Quite hard, apparently, because they have to test for skill! Lots of weird general knowledge questions, and that one question they always asked in grade school.... if a train travels 60 feet in 2/5 of a second, how far will it travel in 3 seconds? I don't care how far the train will travel...I am a collector...all I want to know is when you're sending the cheque.

I can type 73 words a minute. I don't know if this is good or not, but I'm impressed because I didn't make any mistakes AND I wasn't looking at the keyboard. My "keystrokes" are 12,569 whatever that means. The last time I was tested it was 11,500 so whatever I'm doing in my stay-at-home life, I'm getting better.

Would it be wrong to admit that I felt good when I heard the office staff talking about my "crazy fast" typing skills? I don't care. I did.

MS Word....Excel...filing....numeric...alpha numeric....general knowledge.... all for a 10 minute interview where I was told that they didn't have anything available at the moment, and "don't call us, we'll call you". UGH.

I've touched base with all my old contacts that I can think of and reactivated myself with all the agencies I worked with in the fall of 2007. It's scary out there.

By the time I got back to my car my feet were KILLING me so I whipped off my heels and threw them on the seat beside me for the drive to my mom's house. I couldn't WAIT to get back into my jeans and a t-shirt. I need a job that will let me dress casually and I know of one....

I think I'll be a bus driver!!

Oh yes... you read that right. Picture it now, friends.... I can stop traffic with the little stop sign that swings out from the side of the bus... Oh yeah... even better than patrolling the kiss-n-ride at the children's school.

The children are having so much fun playing outside in this warm weather and I'm loving that we can have the windows open. Man that was a long and brutal winter.

Tomorrow Ian is planning on taking the children to see Race To Witch Mountain. Just a little trivia for you... did you know that the little girl who starred in Escape to Witch Mountain and Return to Witch Mountain grew up to be Paris Hilton's aunt? Yep. It's true.

I received a lovely email from Carrie today. She said she heard a song the other day and thought of me, and the chorus went like this:

All is well with my soul,
He is God, he is in control,
I may not know all his plans,
but I know I am in his hands.


Oh how I needed that reminder today. Thank you, Carrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment