Sunday, September 07, 2008

Busy Busy...Tired Tired...

Ian came home from the youth retreat yesterday afternoon and was exhausted, but apparently it was a great success and he really enjoyed himself. He had tons of pictures to show us all the fun they had. I think he's going to have a really great impact on these young people. They seem to be responding very well to him so far.

The children and I had another sleepover Saturday night and even though we went up to bed at 11, we continued to whisper and giggle until just after midnight.

Yes, I locked the bedroom door and put the basket of laundry in front of it again... Can't be too cautious you know.

I managed to get us all to church yesterday morning and was only 2 minutes late for the service. I hate being late because we start with worship and I love that so much. I feel closest to the Lord when I sing.

I think I take Ian for granted for all that he does to help me with these little ones. He always - and I mean always - takes them upstairs to sign them in to Sunday School and always goes up to sign them out. I had to do that myself today and get Jordan settled into the nursery. There was no time to visit afterwards because I had to collect up my herd and head home.

I tried to make the weekend fun for the kids so that they wouldn't miss Ian too much and I think I did an ok job. We ate pizza and burgers every day, stayed up late, hung out in our pjs, didn't make our beds (ok I did, but I have become OCD about that) and basically forgot about all our regular rules and routines.

At one point on Saturday afternoon Julie asked if she could call Daddy. I said no, because he was going to be with the youth group and wouldn't be able to talk, but he will call us when he could. Later on at Wal-Mart, I accidentally "pocket called" Ian. My phone is very sensitive and if something brushes against it then it will dial someone unless the phone is locked. I am always forgetting to lock it. As soon as I realized what happened I quickly hung up, hoping the call hadn't gone through. We continued to shop a bit more and I went to text someone on my cell and realized Ian had called twice. (If I'm not forgetting to lock the phone, I'm forgetting to turn the ringer on. Usually both at the same time) He called again thinking that there was something wrong since he had two calls from us.


Turns out that Julie HAD called Ian that afternoon even though I had expressly told her not to. Ian asked me not to scold her because she was missing him and it was the first time he's been away from the family for a whole weekend.


So I let it go.

We spent so much time at Wal-Mart that it was dark when we left. Yikes.

I think I'm coming down with something. Everything hurts. Even my eyeballs hurt. I hope it's nothing big.

Today Ian was home with us and while I loved having him here, it threw off my morning routine.

Since he had everything under control with the baby, I had a nice hot shower and washed my hair. I changed the sheets on our bed and came down to see that he had breakfast on the table for the children and Jordan was happily playing with her toys. I sat down to check my email, enjoying a cup of perfectly made tea in my Eeyore mug, all the while reminding the kids to eat, etc.

When it was 5 minutes before the time we had to leave I guess Sam got tired of my "loving reminders" and asked "Mom...aren't you going to pack our lunches?"


So I was racing around making sandwiches, and packing snacks and juice, all the while yelling "Get your shoes on! Grab your backpacks! Head out to the car I'm right behind you!!" I left Jordan with Ian and we raced to the car.

We were laughing so hard on the drive to school. I think I made it there in record time! I don't think they're going to let me live this down very soon.

After dropping them off I took my Mom to her physio appointment. She hates it when I say "took her", so I will revise that to "went with her". We picked up breakfast on the way back to her place and had a nice talk together.

Her cleaning service arrived unexpectedly, so Mom and I were racing around doing some pickup while the ladies unloaded their car.

All this rushing. Ugh. I don't like it.

Mom realized she'd forgotten her glasses at the physio clinic so I went back for them and after dropping them off I returned home.

I bought a larger calendar today. We have so many things on the go that I need a large space to record everything and the old one just wasn't cutting it space-wise. Looking at it I realized that all of Ian's commitments were ministry or work related. All of the kids' are school related. All mine are social. Oops. I should throw in something ministry related...

This Wednesday the Ladies Coffee Break starts up at the church. I think my girlfriend Jen is going to join me. I'm not sure I will enjoy it any better than I did when I tried it in the Spring, but I'm hopeful. Also, it will give Jen and me some time to visit together. We have some great spiritual talks sometimes.

Oh I hope I can get to bed early tonight. I am pooped. Jordan was up so many times last night. I have fed her well and filled her little belly as best as I could, so hopefully that will help.

I'm too tired to talk about anything else tonight.

Over and out.


  1. Lol! I would be the one having a leisurely morning, forgetting the lunches!

    Enjoy your coffee outing...I wanna go. :)

  2. It's only a 12 hour drive Melissa... :)

    I hope you're feeling better soon!

  3. It's only a 12 hour drive Melissa... :)

    I hope you're feeling better soon!