Sunday, August 17, 2008

We Made It

Yesterday was the big day...

Ian's parents wanted to leave for the venue by 11:30 which meant we would have to leave our house by 10:00 in order to arrive in time to change out of our jeans into our outfits for the day.

We woke up around 7:30 to begin baths and showers and hair and nails... Ian packed the van with our outfits, shoes, various video and camera equipment as well as all the other paraphernalia that we seem to have to travel with. We were out the door by 10:15. Not bad.

Ian and I had prayed for the day together before getting out of bed, but I found myself chatting with God many times during the hour drive north. I was fighting against feelings of worry and nervousness. 10 years is a really, really long time to not speak to someone. I didn't know what to expect. But He kept reassuring me that I am who He created me to be and that is enough.

We arrived with about 8 minutes to get dressed. We were prepared to see his brother because he is staying with my inlaws. We were very surprised to see his sister and her family there. I thought we had a little more time to prepare but we were all thrown in together. Our nieces and our children hit it off instantly and I started to relax. I didn't know what they were told about this separation so I didn't know what to expect from them. As usual, I shouldn't have wasted time worrying about it. They are absolutely lovely young women, both inside and out.

Julie and I changed into our dresses as fast as we could and then both changed Jordan. She just smiled and cooed no matter how we jostled her this way and that. We tossed everything into a spare bedroom and flew down the stairs and out the door.

The party venue was at a golf club inside Base Borden. The room was decorated in burgundy and gold, and on each table was a slim vase holding a couple of roses. Very elegant, just like my mother in law. Even the ladies room had gold coloured hand towels to match.

I suck at small talk. Just about everyone who knows me knows this about me. If I know you I could just about talk your ear off, but if I just met you, well... it's agony. Well, I had to make a lot of small talk yesterday! Lucky for me, everyone was interested in seeing the grandchildren, especially the baby, so that really helped. I know a fair number of my inlaws friends and that helped as well.

My inlaws could not have been happier to have all of their children and grandchildren under the same roof. I honestly did not think this day would ever come. God is good. He was so present yesterday.

I had to laugh when someone asked if they could take a picture of everyone together. Once we were all in place, all sorts of people gathered to take photos. I whispered to one of my nieces that I felt like we were in front of the paparazzi with all the flashes going on. I guess just about all of them knew about the rift between the children and figured it would be another 10 years before we were all together again so they'd better get a picture now!

Ian had put together a presentation of photos set to music and it was terrific. Everyone enjoyed it. He also took pictures of everyone there and had them up on the screen playing throughout the meal.

I can't believe how well the children behaved the entire day. I received tons of compliments on them from how beautiful they are to how well they behaved, etc. No one could get over how well Jordan did. She didn't fuss at all even though there was always someone mauling her or poking at her. I managed to get her to sleep but when I turned around there was a woman poking at her and Jordan was smiling. She said she had to bump the stroller four times before she'd wake up. Honestly! I didn't really mind. Whatever it took to make my inlaws and their guests happy I was committed to doing.

The children were getting a little restless after lunch so I let them go just outside the door on to the patio after extracting promises from both that they wouldn't disturb the golfers. Would you believe they found a frog outside and were playing with it. Ew. The poor thing was hardly moving at all by the time I made them put him back in the grass. He was still breathing, I think he was just terrorized.

I had a chance to talk to my nieces for a bit and discovered they are as intelligent and funny as they are lovely. Julie had two of them cornered for a bit and talked their ears off.

We headed to my inlaws just after 4:30. The children had a wonderful time playing with two of their cousins and ended up having piggy-back races. I made my small talk (yikes) and passed Jordan around, rescuing her when she'd had enough. His sister and family left just after 7:00 and we headed off shortly after 8:30.

Ian's parents were so pleased with the day and that made Ian and me very happy. We were all in bed by 10:30! We are all pretty tired today.

Ian talked to his dad this morning and he had nothing but good things to say about the day.

In other news, my sister moved back to my city yesterday. She now lives about a 1 1/2 minute drive from my house. Not sure what that will bring...

I'll post some pics a little later. I'm off to go grocery shopping before my family starves to death.

1 comment:

  1. It does sounds like it was a very lovely day, and Julie and Sam look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete