Thursday, March 25, 2010

Book Review: Somewhere To Belong



Johanna Ilg has lived her entire life in Main Amana, one of the seven villages settled by devout Christians who believe in cooperative living, a simple lifestyle, and faithful service to God. Although she’s always longed to see the outside world, Johanna believes her future is rooted in Amana. But when she learns a troubling secret, the world she thought she knew is shattered. Is this truly where she belongs?

Berta Schumacher has lived a privileged life in Chicago, so when her parents decide they want a simpler life in Amana, Iowa, she resists. Under the strictures of the Amana villages, her rebellion reaches new heights. Will her heart ever be content among the plain people of Amana?


~*~ ~*~ ~*~


The story begins with Berta, a willful and spoiled teenager from Chicago, forced to settle in Amana against her will and wanting desperately to return home.

Johanna has lived in Amana her entire life and secretly longs to experience the outside world, like her brother did. She is simple and sweet, and she follows the rules.

Berta chafes against Johanna's way of life, and Johanna yearns to have Berta's experiences. Over the course of the story, Johanna learns a startling secret and Berta learns to settle into this new way of life.

When I agreed to review this book, I was expecting to love it. I had reviewed an Amish story before and really enjoyed it. I quickly realized that it wasn't an Amish story after all, rather the Amana are an entirely separate group. I had high hopes for this book, and while there was a lot of drama and unexpected twists, I didn't enjoy it. I found that I had to really focus on the story lines to keep up with what was going on as it just didn't hold my attention.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~


This book is courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available now at your favourite bookseller.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I read this review. I love reading fictional Amish books so I can skip this one. :)
    I am reading an Amish book right now to review for Thomas Nelson Publishers.
    I like that you have a picture of the book at the top. I'm guess we can copy the photos to put in our reviews?

    ReplyDelete