Thursday, March 04, 2010

Channeling My Inner Amanda

The other day I decided to channel my inner Amanda and try to get all creative with my baking.

Have you seen her baking blog I Am Baker?

Oh.My.Word. She is so incredibly talented and makes everything look so easy.

She is totally responsible for my cookie decorating & cookie cutter addiction.

I admired her so much that I stalked her until she became my friend.

I just want to put her in my pocket.

(Ooh..that sounded creepy)

About a month ago I got the idea in my head that I wanted to bake a pink & purple birthday cake for Jordan's second birthday which is at the end of this month. I am talking about the innards of the cake, friends. Pink & purple on the inside.

Amanda said it might be a good idea to go with one colour on the inside and use pink and purple in the frosting.

But no. I march to the beat of my own drum and I was gonna pink & purple this cake right up.

Right around the time I separated the batter into two cake pans and added the food colouring, I started to regret it. They looked gross.

Still....I popped those babies into the oven, full of hope.

I mixed up my frosting and added the food colouring and went to work.

Before long, I began to feel like Buddy from Cake Boss.

This is the end result.





Looking at the pictures now, I wish I'd cut each layer into two and alternated them.

I can't decide if it's cute or gross. It changes by the minute!

What do you think? be honest, but please be gentle!

Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Kate!! My little bakerista!! I think it is totally adorable! There is not one little bit of gross about this cake :) Super proud and I am sure Amanda will be to! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!

    I am not that creative :(, so you totally have me beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's cute!

    For you next trick... you could make this one: http://www.omnomicon.com/rainbowcake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I think it looks EXCELLENT! I know you're always more critical of your own work, but that is one good-lookin cake! Now you've got me thinking ahead to my daughter's May bday....but I may actually be brave and try fondant! :::GASP::: And seriously - Amanda IS amazing. I have to stay away from her blog less I get sucked in and develop a sugar habit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I used aluminium foil folded into an S shape to create two colors on the SAME layer! When I layered the cake it and cut into it, it looked like a checkered pattern. Awesome! And Super easy. You cake looks super cute, but I do agree that cutting the layers is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's adorable! I tried that once with blue/green and THAT was gross. Totally gross. But pink/purple is sweet. Reminds me of something My Little Ponies would serve up. I like it. I'm getting ready to do a Lego cake for Jack's birthday this weekend... Oy, I'm using fondant so I'm sure I'll have one hell of a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It think it's the most gorgeous cake I've ever seen!!!

    Okay...well, maybe not ever...but dang close! You are good!

    And the colors? I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute!! Perfect for a 2 year old birthday!! You are more ambitious than me!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors look great - inside and out. Adorable cake! Four layers of color would be cool too, but I don't think it's gross at all. It looks totally YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No lie, I think it's awesome! I tried to do a pink cake inside once just for the heck of it, and it was bad! I didn't use enough color or something, so it just had a weird tint to it. Not nice. Yours....fantabulous! I don't even care that that's not a word.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's awesome!! Seriously, you did a wonderful job! Buddy is going to start calling you now to get ideas for the show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't doubt yourself K.At.E - it's wonderful! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!! You are super duper talented!! And I think I might need to start channeling my inner Kate for new ideas! Blessings!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is fantastic! Nice work, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely adorable in every way! I don't see one iota of grossness!!!

    I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your sense of humor LOL Don't we all wish we could make everything she does! Did you make cookies today?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's awesome!! Seriously, you did a wonderful job! Buddy is going to start calling you now to get ideas for the show. :)

    ReplyDelete